Why Avatar-CLI exists and what problems it tries to solve?
- Avatar-CLI was created to shorten setup time of development environments to near-zero.
- Avatar-CLI lets each project define its development environment as code and share it through source control as a configuration file. See the Avatarfile example.
Problems solved by Avatar-CLI and surrounding practices:
- Works on my machine - With Avatar-CLI, each developer (and/or CI agent) gets a consistent and reproducible environment built with a combination of docker images.
- Avatar-CLI helps to fight configuration drift. Tools and configurations in the CI/CD environments and developers' environments tend to accumulate differences and mismatches over time. Avatar-CLI allows using exactly the same tools, having a single source of truth for their configuration.
- Multiplatform: Linux and MacOs.
- Tools version pinning.
- Ability to combine many docker images, no need to create a catch-all image.
- SSH-Agent integration.
- GPG-Agent Integration (only in Linux)
- JetBrains IDEs integration.